Friday, August 26, 2011

Making A Hideaway Timeline With a Twist

Well, I've been a busy schoolmom this week getting ready for the first day of Kindergarten and 3rd grade next Monday.  On my to-do list was to make a new timeline. One of the aspects I love most about homeschooling is that I get to teach History as one chronological story; a story ("His story") that spans from creation to the modern day, and is all part of one huge plan by my enormous God!  Not only do I know that my kids are retaining the information (more so than if it was taught in sporadic increments with a focus on dates) but I am truly learning and retaining information that I am certain I had previously memorized for tests in my own schooling-and then proceded to dump that data as soon as the bell rang! 

Timelines are a perfect way to make time a visible concept for children. They can see the continuous flow from beginning to now, and how one set of events influenced others. There are many versions of timelines to make: wall, notebook, accordion file, index card, etc.  I have previously used a notebook version with my older two, but have decided to switch to a wall chart that all three kids can contribute to and view (hopefully re view) at will.  However, I had some criteria for narrowing down which design I would implement:

1) I wanted it to be large enough for the symbols to be seen clearly, but able to fit on the inside of the closet door so that we can hide the chart away when I am tired of looking at it.


2) I wanted it to be a fairly continuous line so that my children can really see the 'flow' of time.  That was another reason I had decided to switch from a notebook version to a wall version.


3) I liked Ruth Beechick's concept that you put one line of Bible history figures directly underneath secular figures (i.e. the figures of John the Baptist and Jesus underneath the line showing Ancient Greek and Roman events).  By doing this, the children are able to understand how those world events influenced the teaching, geography, and vernacular that is used in the scriptures.

I played with various ideas in my mind, but could not come up with my own design. Thankfully, I was able to find one to plagiarize and tweak a bit! :)  I was very excited when I stumbled on this design from i am aud.  With just a little personalization, it would be perfect.




She used the bottom piece of poster board to show the progression from creation to Christ's birth, and the top piece flows from 0 A.D. to modern times. Each curve line represents a 300 year interval. It definitely fits my first two criteria, and since it has double lines, I could easily adapt it to fit my 3rd.  Here's what I ended up with:


I used the back of some hideous wrapping paper that I found at a yard sale. I had started to throw it away, but then realized it would be great for banners and art projects.  Since the lid I used to trace my curves was a bit bigger than the one 'aud' used, I had less curves and had to adjust my time intervals.  My other tweak was to make one of the B.C. lines a different color than the other. The blue line would be for secular events and the red for biblical.  It took me about an hour, but I am thrilled with it! Oh-and did I mention that it fits perfectly on the inside of that closet door?  YAY!!

Hopefully this has given you some ideas for making your own timeline.  Another great website to check for ideas (which is where I found this one linked) is squidoo.  I don't know about you, but I am soooo thankful for these kind souls who take the time to share their brilliant ideas with the rest of us.

Happy Schoolin',
Hillary At Home 

No comments:

Post a Comment