Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Week 1 Under our Belt. Now onto week 2!

We had a great first week, and what made it especially good (for me) was that I understood  I was probably not going to be able to do everything I wanted, and would end up needing to whittle things down.  I know that sounds like the revelation of a simpleton, but preparing myself to be flexible ahead of time really helped me to keep a better attitude when my own plans went awry.  In other words, I did not let the enemy beat me up with my own guilt and frustration this week. Score one for the Kingdom!

So, what did we do? For Kindergarten, we read and discussed Ping (Marjorie Flack) a couple of times, did some pre-writing and math worksheets, our reading lessons, history reading, and our "Annie Pages" from the Little Annie's ART Book of Etiquette & Good Manners published by How Great Thou Art.  I had found this book at a garage sale a few years ago, and used it with my olders. Now I've brought it back out for Miss Chevious (her Grandpa's name for her) and she loves it-as did her siblings before her!  It's such a sweet book with little lessons on being a good host, friend, neighbor, etc. Each page is a lesson with a little drawing exercise and a scripture to go along with the scenario that "Annie" is experiencing.  It would be a fun book to use as the spine for a little art/etiquette co-op for young girls, but I will look at tackling that at another time...

We ended the week with our traditional "Low Table American-Chinese Dinner" to celebrate the time we spent learning about China via the Ping story.
Looking at this picture, I realized what a 'brown' dinner this was!


On the menu:
Egg Drop Soup
Egg Rolls
Peking Chicken over Sticky Rice
PandaBerry Tea (A light strawberry/cherry tea blend from The Republic of Teas).

What a way to end the first week of school!
A big piece of burlap hides the trusty jack-stands under the table :)

As for the olders, we embarked on our HOD journey into ancient times, arctic tundras, poetry, and literature analysis. (All three kids are really enjoying the history read this week; Grandpa's Box. It recounts Creation through the Resurrection framed as a giant war plan using battle terminology; a big hit with boys especially!)  The kids enjoyed making their own 'Shield of Faith' by designing a coat of arms to represent their beliefs and interests. They are definitely a personal statement of each child!
Mighty contenders for the faith!
 We worked in math, grammar, handwriting, and critical thinking along with therapeutic activities for speech related needs.  I ended up staggering some of the subjects that did not need to be done daily, and figured out how to better manage the fun activites that I add into their workboxes (trampoline time, computer disc time, wii fit time, centers, etc).  So while we may not  be able to do all subjects every day, I think we will still be on track to finish in April (Lord willing!) with a four day work week. However, we shall see what really unfolds in this crazy thing called 'Life'!

A man's heart plans his way, 
But the LORD directs his steps.
Proverbs 16:9

Here's praying that you have a beautiful week ahead!
Blessings,
Hillary At Home

No comments:

Post a Comment